PORTOBELLO STEAKS WITH WILD RAMP PESTO
I went home to DC to get these goons together (Murphy left, Cooper right) and to visit my parents last weekend. I'm always blown away by all of the park land and how green Washington is. My mom, her best hiking pal Alison and I brought the dogs for a walk along the Potomac and came across SO. MANY. RAMPS.
Which provided inspiration for dinner . .
FOR THE PESTO (MAKES 1 1/2 CUPS)
● 1 bunch ramps (10-12)
● 3/4 cup pine nuts (lightly toasted, you can also use walnuts, pistachios or a mix)
● 1/2 cup parsley (or basil, cilantro, or a mix)
● Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 Tbs)
● 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
● 3 Tbs cold water
● 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
● 1 teaspoon salt
● A few cranks of fresh black pepper Place all ingredients for pesto in a food processor and pulse until nearly smooth.
FOR THE MUSHROOMS
● 4 large portabella mushrooms (stems removed)
● drizzle of olive oil + balsamic
● Sourdough toast (or buns for burgers)* Drizzle mushrooms with a touch of olive oil and balsamic. Throw them on the grill or a very hot grill pan for about 8 minutes (4 min per side) or until cooked through. Slice + serve on toast or leave whole for 'shroom burgers. Top with pesto.
*summer bbq tip: I recommend always showing up with portabellas (+ rose) in hand, enough to go around!